Monday 5 September 2011

Labour day


I have run out of  silver ear-wires, I knew when that day came I would learn to make my own. I admire hand-made ear-wires, they are more sturdy, artisanale, unique, and expressive of the artist whose hand was involved with the entire earring (well apart from cutting the stone attached!)

It is labour day, here is an up to the minute photo of my first labour, it was rather easy actually and I will enjoy making more and experimenting!

I used 20 gauge sterling silver wire, they are about 3/4 inch in length and lightly hammered on the loop end. They are all ready for semi-precious stones or pearls to be wire-wrapped onto them.

I am editing this post a few minutes later to add that it is less expensive to buy ear-wires than it is to buy the wire and make them myself!! Even the sturdier looking ones (that look like they are home-made) cost less than I can make them for!! hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment